Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Habanero Pork Roast / Cupcake the Elephant Dog

Well know that I'm back in the working world, I'm going to have to turn more often to my old friend (or in my case friends, as I have 3 sizes) the slowcooker. For this blog post I was inspired to modify a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook. The original recipe was for an Apricot-glazed pork roast with apricot jelly, which I modified for what I had in my fridge.



For my version you'll need:

1.5-2 pound pork roast (mine was a sirloin roast, but shoulder would work too)
Habanero Jelly (5.5 oz or whatever size you can find)
1 red onion, chopped
2 Tbs. Cranberry Mustard
1 orange

First, mix together in a bowl the onion, jelly, juice of the orange and mustard








Then trim the fat from your pork roast and put it in your crockpot (I always coat with a little cooking spray for easier clean up)

Then spoon the mixture over the pork. I put it in the fridge as is to start in the a.m.; but you can just cook from this point, 5-6 hours and high or 10-12 on low
Final Result:

It was nice and fall apart tender and juicy- but I was a little underwhelmed by the habanero flavor- I was hoping for a little more zip- would be yummy tossed with a spicy, fruity bbq sauce though

And now for something completely different:

My poor cupcake woke up looking like the elephant man. Her cute turkey waddle under the neck has ballooned to a bullfrog-like bulge. The vet didn't know exactly what's goin on, but thought it was just an infection with some inflammation and sent her home with some antibiotics- my poor deformed looking baby- reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the goiter lady




Her mood seems good- just a little more lazy (I didn't think that was even possible:P) so hopefully she'll be on the mend soon

1 comment: